Friday, October 2, 2015

A Deeper Meaning

One of the things that every author hopes for is that readers enjoy the stories they write. This is no different for me. I love following along with the characters in Tal'Avern, writing down their experiences, their struggles - both physical and emotional, and I hope that readers not only enjoy the story as it continues throughout the books, but that they really come to love the characters.

But while the Chronicles are written purely to entertain, the Exiled trilogy rides on a different track. Besides being in a different genre (18+ Paranormal Romance rather than YA Epic Fantasy), the trilogy was written for a purpose... not just to entertain, but with a far deeper, more real meaning within the pages of the story throughout all three books.

So while I certainly hope that the Chronicles entertain, it's been my hope from the moment I started writing the Exiled trilogy 3 years ago that along with an interesting story, the deeper meaning within those books would be seen and felt. That was the purpose, and the reason they were written.

Recently, I received two reviews from the first book in the trilogy, which is simply titled The Exiled, which I wanted to share - not to brag about the 5 star rating they both gave the book, but because both readers sought to relay what the book was about. That may seem like an easy task, but it's far more difficult to write a review when you're trying not to give away any spoilers.






***** Reeling and left in awe
 on September 27, 2015
 
I almost cried when this book was over and then I remembered it was only book one in a trilogy. I am looking forward to the next two books. The cover first caught my eyes with the black background and piercing green eyes, which are a representation within the story. Then the words: Hunted by one side. Sworn to be protected by the other. Truly, I was looking forward to the battle ahead just at the mention of those words.

The beginning of this story was very gripping. It made me catch my breath and wonder what was going to happen next. And with a twist I wasn’t expecting, it kept my attention and I didn’t want to stop reading. Curse us for the need to eat, sleep and work that prevented me from reading this book all the way through in one setting.

The rest of the story followed with action turning pages. You have characters that you loved and loved to hate others. I struggle to find the words to describe this book without giving away spoilers. There is an emotional depth to this story that touched me and left me having “wow” moments.

I highly recommend this book and will leave you with a quote from it:

“Nothing else matters except the one thing that is before you, the one goal that you’re reaching for. When you doubt in yourself, you create the one barrier that is impossible to overcome. The only thing that can stop you from reaching your goals is yourself David.”

(If there is only one book that you read this year, make it this one. Yes, it is THAT good.)
 
 
***** This book is beautifully crafted, brilliantly written
 on October 2, 2015
 
I finished The Exiled by Scott Borgman this morning and I have been thinking of what I wanted to say. There are literally pages where I underlined every word, so many, that flipping through them is a sea of orange.

This book is beautifully crafted, brilliantly written, and contains so much thought that I can hardly find words  to express my feelings properly. The eternal struggle between good and evil is portrayed with more understanding than you would expect from an author Mr. Borgman's age. His hope for humanity shines throughout the story and I found myself crying at the end, which rarely happens. I remember my son asking me when he was only five years old, "Mama, if Satan asked God to forgive him, would he?" The only other comment I will make is to say read this book for yourself to experience the journey into the soul of man. It is worth every minute of your time, if not more.

Outstanding, Mr. Borgman. The Exiled is one of my top books read in quite a while, and I am excited because there are two more books in this trilogy that I look forward to reading.

If I could give it a higher rating, I would, but I do give it the highest that I can. 5 stars.
 
 
 
 
 
 
If you'd like to check out The Exiled, here are the links for both the US and UK:
 
 
 
 
Thank you for your support, everyone. I truly appreciate it.

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Rose. I've hoped that while the story would be enjoyed, the underlying ideas and lessons within it would be seen for what they are and not just as a part of the story.

      Delete