Sunday, January 3, 2016

December Donation Drive

Back at the beginning of December, when I released The Exiled Trilogy: Collector's Edition, I had made a promise. I feel very strongly about giving back, and about doing what I can to help make our world a better place. With the amount of negativity that surrounds us every day, I think doing such things is becoming more and more critical.
 
I'm no multi-billionaire that owns 5 houses, 8 cars, a yacht, a plane... I honestly don't really have anything one would probably consider 'extravagant.' And yet, the 1% flaunt their wealth and spend it on getting more and more shit to make themselves look like they're better than everyone else. Because they have money, they have to show it off. I'm sure there are a few people that pop in your head right away that fit the mold.
 
Now, not all of them do this. Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt are two people I will mention who donate their time and quite a bit of their money to a lot of different charities and organizations. I personally look up to them both, not just because they're two of my favorite actors, but for everything they do to help make our world a little bit brighter for others.
 
As for me, I'm more than willing to give what I can when I am able to help make other's lives better, even if it's something small that will help put a smile on a face, or help to bring joy to their lives - if only for a little while. Because that's what life is about. Not what we can get, but what we can give, what we can do for each other.
 
I had made a promise that through the month of December, for every sale of my new release on Amazon, I would donate half of the profits to a charitable institution, along with at least half of the profits I would receive from pages read from all of my books through Kindle Unlimited.
 
While there were few sales of the Collector's Edition, and the pages read didn't amount to a significant amount (it was the holiday season after all, which certainly played a role in the low numbers) I gave my word - and I keep my word.
 
I took the liberty of snapping a few photos showing the sales and pages read:


 
 
 
 
 
And then as promised, I went and made the donation. It wasn't much, but every little bit helps to make wishes come true.


 
 
To those who made a purchase and those who upped that page count by reading any of my books through Kindle Unlimited, thank you. While I may have made the decision to donate half of my profits, you are the ones who deserve the praise, because you made it possible. The amount doesn't matter. Yes, I wish the donation would have been higher, but what matters is that the donation will go to helping grant wishes and putting smiles on the faces of children fighting against life threatening illnesses.
 
So for that, you have my deepest gratitude and thanks. It truly means a lot to me to have been able to make the donation with your help.
 
 
All My Best,
Scott A. Borgman


No comments:

Post a Comment